Friday 18 January 2008

School has started...


The past few days have been so busy! I guess I’ll start with Tuesday, since I haven’t written since then. On Tuesday I had my second day of classes, and I was a little worried that three hours of my sociology class would be hard, but again, it went by quite fast. I was also a little disappointed that the sociology class was the afternoon one—I like having class in the morning so I have the rest of the day to do other things. However, I was able to get some reading for class done in the morning, and in the future I can do laundry since that is my room’s day.

We were really excited because Wednesday was our first day trip. We visited Canterbury first, home of the pilgrimages that inspired Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. It was really cool to see the Canterbury Cathedral—it’s huge and has so much history, and it was a really nice, clear day. Canterbury has a lot of shops and stuff, so we also just walked around for a little while, exploring. After Canterbury we headed to Rye. Really the only “sight” in Rye is a church. However, Rye is a really small town so it has lovely streets and is so fun to just walk around. It reminded me a little of Orvieto, Italy, but I think Rye is even smaller. We had a lot of fun taking some pictures and strolling the streets. Our last destination was Beachy-Head. Beachy-Head is the name of a little place that has some of the white cliffs that Dover is famous for. However, Beachy-Head has the highest ones. It was so beautiful to see the ocean and the bright green grass and although it was a little chilly, the air was nice and fresh. Even though we’ve only been in London for a week, it was really nice to get out and see some nature. By the time we were heading back to the London Centre in the bus, everyone was hungry since we had eaten lunch a while back and not a whole lot of it, either. It was really nice to take that day trip and spend time with other students on the bus, getting to know other people and hanging out with them.

Thursday was a really good day. Thursday we have art, so I had Intro to Art and Drawing in the morning. We went over to the V&A Museum and drew some of the artwork. It was really interesting. We had several rules for our drawing to help us learn to draw what we actually see and not what we think we see. My sketchbook looks kind of funny, but I’m definitely learning from it. We are required to spend six hours drawing outside of class, so that will be interesting. After the class we had lunch then set off to see if we could get Swan Lake tickets for this weekend. It is the closing weekend for the English National Ballet, so we were really hoping it’d work out. We ended up getting tickets for eight pounds for that night, since it was the day of. We had so much fun! Five of us went—four girls and the lone guy from BYU, Mike. Two other girls came hoping to get in, and they did. Swan Lake was amazing. The orchestra was beautiful and the ballet was, obviously, fantastic. I’m so glad we were able to go. Afterwards, we came home and hung out with some of the other students for a while before going to bed.

Today we went to Old Spitalfields Market, an outdoor market with tons of little stands of people selling stuff. I went with a friend, Hayley, and we had a good time. I got a really cute inexpensive dress, and I am really excited about it. I've been also trying to get some reading done today.

A kind of theme I was thinking about for this week is that it’s been really nice to get to know more people better. We’re starting to get to know each other better, and I’m getting to know people I didn’t really hang out with the first few days. It’s really nice to know people since we are living together, and I feel like it’s a good sign for the way the rest of the semester will go.

No comments: